Should I take IELTS or CAE

Cambridge Exam VS IELTS: What's the Difference and Which One is for You?

Did you know that we offer exam preparation courses? Nowadays it is not uncommon for universities or employers to require a specific exam result that proves your English proficiency. But which test should you take? What are the differences? Here is a quick guide to help you understand the differences between the Cambridge exams and the IELTS.

Here at inlingua Edinburgh you can prepare for the FCE, CAE, CPE or the IELTS. But what do these letters stand for?

  • FCE = First certificate in English (aka Cambridge English: First)
  • CAE = Certificate in advanced English (aka Cambridge English: Advanced)
  • CPE = Certificate of Proficiency in English (also known as Cambridge English Proficiency)
  • IELTS = International language test system for English.

While both the Cambridge exams and the IELTS test all four major English skills - reading, writing, listening, and speaking - there are some differences between them.

The main difference between the Cambridge tests and the IELTS is that while there is only one IELTS for each level, the Cambridge tests are level-based. FCE is for a B2 upper intermediate level qualification, CAE is for a C1 qualification exam, and CPE is for a C2 qualification level.

Now let's look at how they're rated.

Despite their differences, one test is no more difficult than the other. You may find the Cambridge tests more interesting than the IELTS which are a bit more academic, but that doesn't mean one is easier than the other.

Regardless of whether you need to apply to a university of your choice, are looking for a specific position or just want to improve your CV, book a course at inlingua now and pass this exam with flying colors!

You can find all of our exam preparation packages here