What types of plants grow in Hawaii
Botanists discover rare flowering plant in Hawaii
More than 1400 plant species are known from the Hawaiian Islands, around 90 percent only grow there. Now the collection is one species richer, and it is also one of the rarest plants on earth: just a single specimen of Cyanea heluensis discovered Hank Oppenheimer and Jennifer Higashino despite an intensive search in the gorges of Mauna Kahalawa on Maui. The first description of the plant appeared in »Phytokeys«, which was found in 2010, but has only now been scientifically recorded.
The two biologists had stimulated the plant to grow stronger with a special paste in order to then grow a new individual in the botanical garden via an offshoot. This failed, but they could also get a seed of Cyanea heluensis collect, from which another plant eventually grew. It belongs to the species-rich group of the lobelia family, which has produced around 80 different species on the Hawaiian Islands. They all go back to a common ancestor who arrived on the island chain eight to ten million years ago.
Cyanea heluensis clearly differs from its relatives by the shape of the leaves and their white flowers. Oppenheimer became aware of them when he searched the slopes of the study area with binoculars. The plant grows in a very shady location in a remote canyon of the volcano on Maui. The species is likely pollinated by birds, which eat its orange colored berries and thereby spread their seeds.
However, many of the original bird species on the island chain have been exterminated in the last few centuries or their populations have been extremely reduced. It is therefore possible that the pollinator of the newly discovered plant is missing. In addition, introduced snails and rats eat fruit, seeds and leaves, which further threatens the species. There are also natural risks such as landslides in the steep terrain. Oppenheimer and Higashino therefore classify them directly as an endangered species.
- How does the self relate to personality?
- What is the A * search algorithm
- How do you practice ultra learning
- How long from Scotland to France
- What are session cache and cookies
- What are good introductory films on sociocracy
- Why should I learn discrete math
- Why do restaurants skip ketchup
- Where can you find heroin in Destin
- What's your favorite 80s video game
- Is there a good translation course
- What is the strongest electrolyte
- Are we alone in the Universe
- Why is everyone mad at Boris Johnson
- Should Britain legalize marijuana
- Smokes Tracey Ullman
- You can injure your skin by tanning
- What determines trust in people
- Which ice cream uses pork fat
- What is the penalty for stealing cables
- What is good credit
- How important was the 1st World War
- What is meant by rational people
- Should I choose IOCL or PGCIL?
- Why do people fear the blind
- How many people use AliExpress
- Are chemical peels safe
- What is the GATE ECE 2018 cutoff
- How do you make the perfect meatball
- How does quantum entanglement affect particles?
- After Trump's victory, arms sales fell
- Can I take Safi twice a day
- What is the most dangerous pastime