Who discovered the penicillin vaccine
Who Discovered Penicillin - Fleming or Lister?
7,164 people died of the plague in London in 1665, Adam quotes from a death register. Had penicillin been around then, many of the victims could have been saved. Because the plague pathogens are sensitive to penicillin. But it was almost two centuries before this antibiotic was discovered, and decades more before it could be industrially manufactured for widespread use.
Alexander Fleming is repeatedly mentioned as the discoverer of penicillin. But actually Joseph Lister could also be considered a discoverer. Because in 1871 he repeated a colleague's experiments with bacteria and fungi that were grown in urine. The fungus: Penicillium glaucum. Bacteria did not thrive in the presence of this fungus. Lister postulated that bacterial inhibition was a microbial principle. But it wasn't until 1884 that Lister successfully applied this knowledge to a nurse. The nurse had a gluteal abscess after being kicked by a horse. Lister cured the patients by placing cloths soaked in Penicillium glaucum extract on the abscess.
But because it was not possible for Lister to produce sufficient extract or even to isolate the substance chemically, it was Fleming who went down in history as the discoverer of penicillin in 1928 through his famous experiments and conclusions. But even he did not succeed in producing the bactericidal active ingredient in pure form and in large quantities. Scientists Ernst Boris Chain and Howard Florey, who from 1939 onwards devoted themselves to mold in Oxford, did just that. Together with Fleming, they shared the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1945.
But not only the biological antibiotics derived from fungal substances appear in the historical outline of antimicrobial therapy. Adam also talks about the development of chemical substances - the sulfonamides are very famous. It was thanks to them that meningitis could be cured for the first time. (gwa)
You can find the free, certified lecture after registering at www.qaef-akademie.de under "Individual Lectures" - "Medical Topics" - "Development of Antimicrobial Therapy"
- You can cut chai with tea bags
- Is The Weeknd Gunna release another EP
- How can you drift on a motorcycle
- Donald Trump wears a belt
- What role does logistics play
- What's your Spotify experience in India
- How was Panera Bread founded
- How do you deal with friendlessness
- What does President Trump have against Montenegro
- Should I stop smoking marijuana?
- Does NOT support Facebook Ads location targeting
- Is a property property
- Which place is worse for the birth
- How does an ellfish generate electricity
- Kylie Jenner is pregnant
- Can regrow hair through hijama treatment
- Pregnancy causes itchy skin and temperature
- What really happened in Interstellar
- Where can I get dialectical behavior therapy
- What is frightening eternity or death
- Why is credibility increasing day by day
- Why is Cristiano Ronaldo so cute
- Is math important to becoming a banker
- What is blood lysis