Jackfruit Makes You Fat
Jackfruit: Recipes for vegan burgers, goulash, tacos and Co.
The jackfruit can be both fruit and meat and has triggered an absolute hype among foodies. You can find out here how to prepare the exotic meat substitute and how versatile it is.
Jackfruit: taste and nutritional values
The jackfruit literally proves its true size. Depending on the variety, with a length of up to 50 centimeters, it can easily weigh more than 30 kilograms - and accordingly accommodate a considerable portion of its delicious pulp. This is exactly what is turning heads around the world for foodies.
Jackfruit is a popular and refreshing snack for in between, especially in its countries of origin such as India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. The yellowish pulp is eaten without its pips and has one when ripe very sweet tastewhich even reminds some fans of fruit gums. Others describe him as one Mix of banana and pineapple or mango.
Thanks to the sweet note, the jackfruit is also often served as a dessert or dried to snack on as chips. Their kernels are also roasted and seasoned as small culinary delicacies or processed as flour for further use.
But what is actually in the exotic fruit that tastes so special? Amongst other things little fat, but a generous portion of fiber, vitamin C as well as iron, magnesium and calcium.
100 grams of jackfruit
Is the jackfruit suitable as a meat substitute?
The jackfruit is the fruit that also makes meat lovers happy. This is not least due to their very special texture. In the immature state, she has one fibrous consistency reminiscent of chicken, and in contrast to the mature state, one neutral taste Has.
That makes them ideal Meat substitutethat even rivals popular alternatives like tofu, seitan, and tempeh. Lots of vegetarians and vegans are really on fire anyway, but meat lovers could also enjoy the jackfruit. When properly prepared and seasoned, it is not that easy to distinguish from “real meat”.
Need some proof? Then try out this recipe and let yourself be convinced how delicious tacos with jackfruit instead of meat are.
Taste and consistency are already right, only the protein content leaves a lot to be desired in the natural meat alternative. With 1.1 grams of protein per 100 grams of pulp, the jackfruit unfortunately cannot keep up with chicken breast, beef fillet and salmon, which contain an average of 18 to 24 grams of protein per 100 grams.
Vegans and vegetarians who rely on jackfruit as a meat substitute should therefore make sure to get their proteins elsewhere in order to avoid a deficit - for example from nuts and legumes. The DGE recommends a daily protein intake of 48 grams for women and 57 grams for men.
Buying jackfruit: what should I look out for?
You usually look in vain for a fresh jackfruit in our local supermarkets. But just as demand is slowly growing, so is supply - especially in processed form.
And where do you find what you are looking for now? You have the greatest chances online, in organic and Asian stores, health food stores and large drugstores that sell the pieces of jackfruit as canned food, dried fruit or convenience product to offer.
When buying, you should focus on the Organic seal and the origin Pay attention to jackfruit to make sure no pesticides have been used in the cultivation. If you specifically plan to prepare the exotic trend fruit as a meat substitute, choose the unripe variant, which, by the way, should not be consumed raw.
Preparing jackfruit: the best tips
Do you have a can of a ripe, sweet jackfruit at home, but you still have no idea how to prepare it? For example, you can simply enjoy them straight or add them to fruity desserts. As a dried fruit, it is particularly suitable as Exotic topping for mueslis, porridge or salads.
The unripe jackfruit in a can or as a convenience product can be prepared as versatile as meat and is the perfect ingredient for Sliced meat, meatballs and Tacos - the right marinade is always important in order to create a very special taste experience. You can also use the jackfruit to use it exotic dips or spreads to create.
If you are actually one of the lucky ones who got hold of a fresh jackfruit in this country, you can get your pulp pretty easily. But a little warning: it could be a sticky affair because it secretes a greasy juice. That's why you shouldn't forget gloves.
Before opening the jackfruit, you can rub the knife with vegetable oil to make the process easier. Then simply cut the fruit in half and pull both halves apart. Now remove the stones and cut out the individual pieces of the edible pulp by hand or cut out pieces with a knife. And now you can eat the jackfruit raw, fry, boil or stew, depending on whether it is ripe or unripe.
Burgers, goulash & curry: delicious jackfruit recipes
The jackfruit has the potential to add variety to your nutritional plan. Acquired a taste? Then it's best to get started right away. Here are a few recipes for inspiration for healthy and simple jackfruit dishes:
Burger with jackfruit in pulled pork style
(2 - 3 burgers)
Ingredients: 1 pack of protein bread, water, 1 glass / can of jackfruit, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 red onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 pinch of salt, 200 ml of sugar-free BBQ sauce
- For the rolls, preheat the oven to 175 degrees, mix the protein bread mix with water to form a dough, follow the instructions on the package and form 2-3 burger-sized balls
- Spread the balls on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 25 to 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, cut the onions, chop the garlic and sauté in a pan with coconut oil at medium temperature
- Drain the jackfruit pieces, rinse with water and pull apart with a fork or your hands
- Add the fibrous pulp of the jackfruit to the onion and garlic mix in the pan, season with salt and fry
- Now add the BBQ sauce and add a little water if necessary
- Stir the whole thing in between and reduce over medium heat
- First the finished rolls are halved, then they are topped with jackfruit à la pulled pork and, if you like, with lettuce, avocado, tomatoes or cabbage
Our tip: Our Sparkling Energy Water provides refreshment - even with hearty dishes. And it comes with a good portion of power!Discover Sparkling Energy Water
(for 2 people)
Ingredients: 1 can of jackfruit, 1 large sweet potato, 2 handfuls of baby spinach, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of yellow curry paste, 500 ml of vegetable stock, 200 ml of low-fat coconut milk, 20 g of goji berries, 1 tablespoon of fresh coriander, 1 tablespoon of chopped chilli flakes
- To prepare, drain the jackfruit, cut the sweet potatoes into small pieces and dice the onion and press the garlic
- Steam the onion and garlic in a pan or wok and then add the vegetable stock, curry paste and coconut milk
- Add the jackfruit and simmer for 5 minutes
- Mash the jackfruit with a fork or potato masher and add the sweet potato. Let the mix simmer until the sweet potato is through. Finally stir in the spinach. (Season to taste with salt, pepper and curry)
- Serve the jackfruit curry with rice and garnish with goji berries, chilli flakes and coriander
Our tip: If you can't get enough of curry, you might like our vegan recipe with chickpeas. It's easy to make and absolutely delicious!
(for 2 people)
Ingredients: 1 can of jackfruit, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 carrot, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (without added sugar), 1 tablespoon of flour, 150 ml of vegetable stock, 200 ml of organic red wine
- Roughly dice the onion, press the garlic and sauté in a pan with coconut oil
- Peel and dice the carrot, add and sweat
- Then add the jackfruit pieces, stir in the tomato paste and flour and fry briefly
- Deglaze the whole thing with the vegetable stock and wine and season to taste - for example with salt, pepper, paprika powder, chipotle powder and caraway seeds
- Simmer under the lid for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve jackfruit goulash with potatoes, sweet potatoes or protein pasta
- The jackfruit is edible both when ripe and when unripe.
- The unripe fruit is fried, boiled or steamed an excellent meat alternative.
- Their fibrous texture is reminiscent of lean meat.
- In this country, jackfruit is mainly available in a can, as a convenience product or dried fruit.
- The jackfruit scores with diversity and is the perfect ingredient for every cooking fan who likes to experiment. It tastes particularly good in curry, goulash, burger or taco.
- What happens when someone dies of Amavasya
- How does poverty affect a company?
- We receive a basic salary during the LWP
- What is burr regression 1
- Zumba is a good workout for teenagers
- How is cardamom powder made
- Why is my kitten getting fat
- Who remembers their past incarnations
- Where can I find VA customers
- Parental love is overrated
- How do you make your focus consistent
- How to run an Android code
- Are parents responsible for sibling rivalry
- How can I convert to Buddhism
- How is Shivaji successful
- Why is Quora obsessed with hacking
- Why is accountability important to an organization
- What kind of sugar is in milk?
- Fox News will be owned by Disney
- How do genes affect your brain
- Which truss design is best suited under compression
- What does Smooth ER break?
- Why do we change position in sleep
- What are the benefits of superstition
- Steel is more conductive than aluminum
- How should you live your life
- What is the golden client in SAP
- Can I use Whitener in UPSC Mains?
- Are online sociopath tests correct?
- What is the stress score of stress
- What are some amazing patents
- Pranayama is a way of meditation
- Should only rich people own boats
- What is a recession gap