Which book couldn't you understand?
- Browse by topicSearch our book database by subject, country, epoch, year of publication or key word.
- Book show of the weekHaven't you had time to read the newspaper or drop by us in the last few days? Doesn't matter, because here you can view our review notes from the last six days of publication sorted by newspaper or topic.
- Literature supplementsAll of our notes on the book reviews in the literature supplements from FAZ, FR, NZZ, SZ, taz and Zeit.
Olaf Georg Klein
You just can't understand us
Why East and West Germans talk past each other
Eichborn Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2001
Hardcover, 180 pages, EUR 14.90
Hardcover, 180 pages, EUR 14.90
The author and coach Olaf Georg Klein advocates the thesis that the real problems between East and West Germans are not based on the different income levels or in the differing political views, but on the different communication habits. Whether it is the first meeting, communication on the job, communication in larger groups or a conversation between men and women, we use completely different and often contradicting language patterns and language strategies.
Review note on Süddeutsche Zeitung, February 12, 2002
This book about the communication problems between East and West Germans could have been very exciting, especially "in the chapter on eroticism" - but unfortunately not, as reviewer Constanze von Bullion regrets. The thesis of the author Olaf Georg Klein - "Whether in the office or in bed - East and West talk past one another and don't even notice it" - is based, in her opinion, on observations from the "first years after the reunification" also shaped by all sorts of clichés at Klein. No, the author "loves the East too much and knows too little about the West to be able to analyze it astutely," says the reviewer and can therefore not be at all satisfied with this work.Read the review at buecher.de
Review note on Frankfurter Rundschau, 02/02/2002
Olaf Georg Klein, who was born in the GDR, is not only an author, but also a "personal coach" who tries to convey to his clients - sometimes couples, but mostly business executives - why East and West Germans so often talk past each other Reviewer Birgit Loff. "You just can't understand us" is Klein's third book about the "pitfalls of communication", and Loff finds the problems described and their reasons extremely plausible. In any case, she cites numerous examples from the book in her review. And her lively tone alone tells the reader that she has obviously learned a lot from the book.
- Can the grinding of teeth be cured
- What is the most dangerous pastime
- Can I get full A1 grades?
- How do harmful chemicals get into our bodies
- Are dizziness linked to high blood pressure or hypotension
- How do I store leftover Indian bread
- What's the best Led Zeppelin album
- Marilyn Monroe was killed by the Mafia
- Are memories often associated with emotions
- What happened to Pravin Togadia
- Is part of Minnesota in Canada
- People really use the stocks app
- Why European cars require a lot of maintenance
- What is the daily chicken consumption worldwide
- What was the reason for Galileo's death?
- What is the subject of geosciences
- What are some dental specialties
- How can I contact Dave Grohl
- Is it certain that ads will be shown on the backpage?
- Why aren't public defenders in America free?
- Marketing case study
- How do cells differentiate
- What's the best Justin Bieber song
- Can you recycle plastic bags