What's the strangest place in space
Cosmology: Strange circular objects discovered in space
With the help of radio telescopes, astronomers working with Ray Norris from Western Sydney University have tracked down four circular objects in space that have so far refused to be assigned: Three of the objects have luminous edges. The team submitted its study to Nature Astronomy and published it in advance on the arXiv. Norris and Co suspect that the apparitions are spherical shock waves from a distant, very violent event.
For example, rapid bursts of radio or gamma rays and supernovae could potentially be considered. However, it does not necessarily have to be a new object class. Instead, it could also be previously unknown phenomena from known events, write the astronomers - such as the jets of a radio galaxy that is nearing its end. They might appear circular because, in a sense, we were looking straight into the center of the explosion. The researchers also consider that different objects are superimposed on each other in the images and only create a circular impression. Older observation methods, on the other hand, could only have depicted one object at a time.
This article is featured in Spectrum - The Week, 29/2020
The objects were discovered with the help of the Australian Square Kilometer Array Pathfinder, which the scientists used to search for new radio sources. As a provisional name, the apparitions are called »Odd Radio Circles« or ORC. However, circles in space are not entirely unknown. The remnants of supernovae, protoplanetary disks or star-forming galaxies can also be imaged this way if they are viewed at the correct angle.
- What's your rating of YouTube Premium
- Soldiers have to pay school fees
- What is the Hamilton operator for hydrogen?
- Smokes Tracey Ullman
- Are financial advisor fees deductible
- Where can I buy the best funky socks
- Where do you think silence becomes important
- Theists and atheists define God consistently
- Has BestBuy student discount
- Homo erectus would be proud of us
- What is the hydrolysis of carbonate
- What is a non-inverting amplifier
- Where is Sultanpur located
- What is romanized pinyin
- Which cities are easiest to defend?
- What is a LEFT OUTER JOIN
- What is the bond angle of OCl_2
- How can an international trade war end?
- How fast is the Hellcat tank
- What is your favorite tv show
- Which Bollywood actress has the best expressions
- What happens if you heat potassium nitrate
- Stress can cause celiac disease
- Buys GameStop phones
- Which pension gives the best interest rate
- Is 149 cm tall a problem
- Should Donald Trump get a crew cut
- Which is the next stop from Chennai
- How is depreciation treated as part of capital budgeting?
- What is the most pleasant source code to read
- Which truss design is best suited under compression
- Which architecture does the Appium follow
- What is mold remediation