What percentage of tomatoes are sour
Do you also like to eat pasta with tomato sauce or a Caprese salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil? Who does not! Tomatoes are one of the most versatile and most frequently used foods in German and international cuisine. Not only do they taste delicious, they are also alkaline. But only as long as they are fresh.
You can find out what else there is to know about tomatoes and what you probably would never have guessed before in ours twelve facts:
- The tomato was known by that name for a long time Candy apple orGolden Apple, which is why its Italian name is also "pomodoro". It was not until the 19th century that it got the name we use today, “tomato”.
- The tomato belongs to the family of Nightshade family, this also includes, for example, the potato or the bell pepper. Some of the plants in this family have toxic ingredients, which is why the tomato was initially considered inedible. The contained alkaloid solanine can lead to complaints such as headaches or nausea when consuming unripe tomatoes. However, the toxin is completely broken down as the fruit ripens.
- The nightshade plant originally comes from Middle and South America. Tomatoes were already raised there by the Mayas and other ancient peoples as "xitomatl". It was not until later in 1500 that Christopher Columbus brought it back with him from his voyage of discovery to Europe.
- At first, the tomato with its beautiful red fruits was just considered Ornamental plant. According to records, they were first used as food in Italy in the 17th century. As early as the end of the 18th century, the Encyclopædia Britannica found the entry that the use of tomatoes in the kitchen was considered "everyday". A little later, around 1900, they were also used in sauces, soups and salads in Germany. However, they only made the real breakthrough in this country in the post-war period.
- Since then, the tomato has been by far our favorite vegetable. Every German consumes around 22 kilos of tomatoes a year. Around half of it is fresh and the other half canned or dried.
- Italy, Spain and the Netherlands are not some of the largest tomato producers in the world, but the People's Republic of China. With 31 million tons of tomatoes annually, China ranks first as the leading tomato producer.
- Tomatoes are not always just red. They come in all sorts of other colors, white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, green, brown and black. Striped and marbled tomatoes have also been found. These varieties are rarely found on the German market.
Are you looking for 100% basic organic products? You can find them here in the Wacker Shop.
I found yellow and green tomatoes in the health food store myself. The green tomatoes are called kumato tomatoes. At first glance, they look rather immature and it was assumed that they might taste bitter. However, they have a fairly firm bite and taste sweeter than ordinary tomatoes with a slightly sour note.
The small yellow tomatoes contain less acid than cherry tomatoes and are more tolerable for people with sensitive stomachs. I just loved you.
So aromatic that I served an Asian salad with it. You can find the recipe below.
- The tomato is one small fruit with a big impact. The red fruit is very healthy, so you should definitely add it to your diet regularly. In addition to phytochemicals that strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of cancer, tomatoes also provide a lot of vitamin C. Vitamin C protects your cells by intercepting harmful oxygen radicals. It is particularly interesting that tomatoes contain a lot of the mineral potassium. Among other things, potassium regulates cell growth as well as the muscle and nervous system.
- Tomatoes also contain the miracle drug "Lycopene". Lycopene, also called lycopene or leukopene, is a carotenoid dye. It catches free radicals that are formed by UV radiation and neutralizes them. This prevents healthy skin cells from being destroyed and sunburn and the associated skin aging from occurring. Nevertheless, of course, tomatoes cannot replace the use of sunscreen when sunbathing!
- Need fresh tomatoes no refrigerator. They stay juiciest when they are kept at 13 to 18 ° C after shopping. This way, they will still taste fresh and healthy for up to 14 days after shopping. If, on the other hand, tomatoes are cooled, they quickly lose their taste, texture and shelf life.
- Have you ever noticed that tomatoes separated from other vegetables and fruits be stored? The ethene contained therein is responsible for this “solitary confinement”. Ripe tomatoes give off this gas during storage. Ethene is a plant hormone that accelerates the ripening process, unfortunately also from the outside - which means that surrounding fruit and vegetables become ripe and mushy much faster.
- For those who pay special attention to their figure: Tomatoes are extremely low in calories. They consist of over 90 percent water, so they have hardly any fat content.
Here you can see what delicious things you can do with the tomato:
Asian tomato salad (basic)
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 1 red pepper
- 6-8 ripe yellow tomatoes
- 1 spring onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
Ingredients for the Asian dressing:
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Lemon juice
- Chili powder
Wash tomatoes and cut in half. Wash the peppers and cut into fine strips. Clean the carrots with the vegetable brush and cut into small pieces. Heat some sunflower oil in a pan and sauté the carrot slices while stirring. Wash, clean and finely chop the spring onions. Combine the ingredients for the dressing and mix well. Mix the dressing with the tomatoes, peppers, carrots and spring onions. Pour some sesame seeds over the salad and enjoy.
Now you know 12 fun facts about tomatoes. Does the tomato end up in your shopping basket more often now?
Photos: Melanie Draganis
Alkaline recipes: diverse recipe ideas for an alkaline diet Expert tips from Sabine Wacker
Basic Diet Basic SaladsTomatoesLemons
- Who is smarter The question or Batman
- What do bull moose eat
- What are your preferred language learning techniques
- The tics syndrome decreases with age
- Will PewDiePie ever be canceled
- How does Adderall make you not hungry
- Where is George R R Martin's house
- What does a ledger look like
- Amazon SNS support is browser-based
- What does the task manager do
- How do you staple paper
- Why don't manufacturers make charging cables longer
- Might priests give good advice on love life
- How does direct mail work
- In which direction do the fans turn
- Which frequently used phrases would you remove
- What is the performance of aluminum foil
- SEO Should I localize urls
- Texas is like Australia
- What is New Zealand's national animal
- Drinking can cause temporary hearing disturbances
- Where is the SAP HCM training offered?
- When are the presidential debates in 2012
- Can we make cakes in the air fryer?