How does sleep apnea affect mental health
Lack of sleep affects the psyche
Sleep disorders can have a strong influence on the psyche and promote mental illness. An early medical evaluation is therefore advisable. The most common reasons for insomnia.
Many mental illnesses lead to insomnia. Sleep problems are particularly common symptoms of depression, anxiety disorders and psychoses. The experts of the German Society for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Psychosomatics and Neurology (DGPPN) point out that the opposite connection is also possible: Sleep disorders can not only be the result of a mental illness, but also its cause. In order to prevent psychological complaints as a result of lack of sleep, the experts recommend that persistent sleep disorders be clarified by a doctor at an early stage.
Example sleep apnea syndrome
“A disease that is often not recognized for a long time and that can have a significant impact on mental health is obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. This leads to respiratory arrests during sleep. The result is insufficient oxygen supply during the night and, at the same time, repeated, short wake-up reactions that those affected often do not notice, ”reports Prof. Thomas Pollmächer from the DGPPN. “The symptoms of sleep apnea syndrome are tiredness, but also changes in mood, drive and concentration, which can correspond to a degree of depression. It is therefore fundamentally very important to also consider the possibility of a sleep disorder when diagnosing and treating a mental illness. "
Common causes of insomnia
A healthy, restful sleep is not only dependent on the amount of sleep, but also, in particular, on the quality of sleep. It decreases with the number of wake-up reactions during sleep, which interrupts the respective sleep phases. "A worsening of sleep can also be the result of taking or stopping a variety of medications, such as beta blockers, which are used to treat high blood pressure or heart disease," explains Prof. Pollmächer.
Other disruptive factors that can impair sleeping are a stomach that is too full or too empty, physically stimulating activities before going to bed, as well as caffeine or nicotine consumption. “It is not uncommon for alcohol consumption or alcohol abuse to be responsible for sleep disorders. Even a moderate consumption of alcohol before going to sleep can lead to a shortened sleep time and a deterioration in the quality of sleep. "
Have persistent sleep disorders clarified
"Sleep disorders that last longer than 3 to 4 weeks require a detailed clarification of the causes, which can be in the area of mental as well as physical health", adds Prof. Thomas Pollmächer. The first point of contact should initially be the family doctor. He can rule out physical illnesses such as thyroid disorders or find evidence of organic sleep disorders. Because psychological problems and sleep disorders are mutually dependent, it is of great importance for treatment to find the trigger of the causal chain and to treat it.
Relaxation procedures and sufficient physical activity during the day have a positive effect on falling asleep. Good sleep hygiene is also important in order to find well-being and peace in bed. Fresh and cool air should prevail in the bedroom; a room temperature of 14 ° to 18 ° C is recommended.
Authors11/13/2015 | Sandra Göbel / DGPPN
- Why is there no splitting reality?
- How many Indians travel overseas every year
- Why is Kamagra Oral Jelly so expensive
- How could Syria attack America?
- Should I continue piano lessons?
- What is Keyword Contest in UberSuggest
- Why is there so much GST
- Who are the most searchable bollywood singers
- What kind of things in life are real lotteries
- How urban is India
- Where should I advertise my YouTube channel
- How to say picture in Bulgarian
- Hotels allow local couples
- What percentage of dogs have separation anxiety?
- Who is the OnePlus 7 display maker
- What is your mother good at
- Cheating days lead to binge eating
- When will Swift 3 be released 1
- Why do AMWAY people always target black people
- Is the joker crazy or a genius?
- You should have your pet neutered
- Who was the first customer on Amazon
- Are sharks really in Hurricane Florence
- Which nation has the most conservative government?
- What is the consumption tax in Nigeria
- What is regional resource-based manufacturing
- Has someone brought a gun into space?
- What do you think of my life
- How do you treat oral chlamydia
- Who are some notable black cowboys
- What does the Urdu word rakabi mean
- Is Panama a forgotten country
- Do headphones generate a harmful electromagnetic field
- Does Superman have a healing factor