How does electroshock therapy work
Electroconvulsive Therapy: Electricity against Depression
If psychotherapy and medication do not have the hoped-for effect in depression and those affected increasingly lose the will to live, electroconvulsive therapy can be helpful. The brain is exposed to weak electric shocks for five to six seconds. The treatment is carried out under general anesthesia. A drug for muscle relaxation ensures that the sick do not injure themselves when they cramp.
Biochemical reactions in the brain
The limbic system with the hippocampus is at the center of the treatment. That is where the center of feelings is located. Scientists suspect that the seizure triggered by electricity triggers biochemical reactions: According to this, there is a massive release of messenger substances, in addition, new nerve cells form in the hippocampus and unhealthily linked areas of the brain unravel.
Usually several treatments are necessary
How quickly electroconvulsive therapy works varies. As a rule, a series of six to ten sessions is carried out first. Some sufferers also need several series before lasting success is achieved. It can then be useful to repeat it once a year or more often. To prevent relapses, most patients continue to need medication after successful electroconvulsive therapy.
Side effects mostly temporary
The most common side effects of electroconvulsive therapy are headaches. They occur in around a third of patients. In addition, there may be cognitive impairments, for example disorders of orientation, short-term memory and attention. Structural brain damage is not to be expected if performed correctly.
Chat log on the topic of depression
Controlled shock therapy can help patients recover from severe depression. Prof. Dr. Here Folkerts answered questions in the chat. The protocol for reading. more
This topic in the program:
Visit | 01/31/2017 | 8:15 pm
- You can use Adobe Student Edition commercially
- What is required for a koi pond
- What are some good musician songwriters forums
- Are crocodiles common in hospitals?
- There are brakes on all 4 wheels
- The position of the continents will continue to change
- Why is Pazuzu considered a daemon
- Why is brand loyalty important
- Which TV is best to buy
- Is every domestic perpetrator also a narcissist
- Does it help hold your breath to stop the fear
- What is the largest hedge fund in 2019
- What will we remember about John Glenn
- Can Indians study in Finland
- Did a hippie ever invent anything
- How can I land successfully on IndiaMART
- Are sugar beets different from normal beets
- Who wants the iPhone 6s
- What do you think of Chessman cookies
- How did Sita die in Ramayana
- How can I treat pancreatitis
- What are some characteristics of an objectivist
- How will automation ultimately affect American life
- All amplifiers have distortion
- Can there really be extraterrestrials?
- Could women decide on the 2016 presidential election?
- Would anarchy work better than democracy
- Why are you happy to be alive?
- How to permanently remove facial hair
- Are your semester grades averaged to pass
- How is a national blockchain with legislation possible?
- What was the Charleston dance 1920