The hamburger meat should be cold before grilling
Grilling burgers: How to grill the perfect burger
When Jamie Purviance is at the grill, your mouth will water just by watching. The US grill pope knows how to make the perfect burger. In an interview with WANTED.DE he names his best burger tips for the charcoal grill and reveals three grill recipes for perfect burgers.
Minced meat, rolls a few spices - these simple ingredients can turn into something spectacular, namely the perfect burger. But only if you do it right.
Ingredients for a gourmet burger
First of all, you have to focus on the main ingredient: the meat. The US grill star Jamie Purviance, author of the book "Weber's Burger", recommends ground beef with a fat content of 20 percent. Less fat would make it dry and crumbly when grilling. You should also buy the beef directly from the butcher, preferably a piece off the animal's shoulder, as this is where the mince develops a particularly strong and tasty taste. In addition to the ground beef, you will also need coarsely chopped pepper, a little garlic and salt. But this is only the basic recipe that you can refine with additional ingredients according to your taste.
A special grill gadget helps shape the patties: the burger press (for example from Weber or Jamie Oliver) forms beautifully shaped and even patties from the meat mass. Users of relevant forums such as the "Grillsportverein" have mostly had positive experiences with the utensil. A forum user describes that the constant thickness and shape of the patties make it easier to determine the degree of cooking, so that he can better respond to the wishes of his guests.
The right temperature and duration
For Jamie Purviance, the most important thing when preparing a burger is the optimal temperature of the grill. "Many people simply grill at too low a temperature and they also haven't closed the grill's lid". That's why the grill doesn't get as hot as it should be, explains the expert.
"Only at the optimal temperature will the top and bottom of the patty be nice and brown and crispy, while the inside will be soft, tender and really juicy. To achieve such a result, the thickness of the patty and the temperature of the grill must be in the right proportion stand." The patties should be two to two and a half centimeters thick and grilled at a temperature between 200 and 260 degrees. It takes eight to ten minutes for the patty to be ready to serve on the grill, according to Purviance. It is important to keep the lid of the charcoal grill closed at all times.
Men in particular find it particularly difficult to leave the patty alone and not tinker with it, says the professional grill to wanted.de. "Men want to play with it all the time, turn it, move it or work on it in some other way. Or they open the grill and let the flames blaze properly to impress friends." The biggest mistake is pressing down the curvature of the patty. This squeezes out the meat juice and fat and you get dry and crumbly patties. Therefore, men: keep your feet still while grilling a burger! "Only turn once while grilling," advises the expert, who has also prepared burgers for talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
Tips: When and how often do I turn the patty?
One aspect that very few people have in mind when grilling a burger is the subject of "intermediate parking": "You should create a place on the grill where there is no direct heat. On the one hand, this is very good when you have the patties or side dishes On the other hand, a zone with indirect heat is very useful if, for example, the flames in the hot spots of the grill hit up or the meat gets too dark, "recommends the US chef. For this reason, the largest possible grill is also practical. "You are simply more flexible with the preparation - for example if you want to prepare steaks or sausages in addition to burgers." A good instinct is also decisive for the success of a perfect burger, believes Purviance. "The weather is different every day, which is why, for example, the temperature of the grill is never constant and the ingredients also react minimally to it."
The pure recipe only serves as a good guide. "Those who stick strictly to the recipe usually have the worst results," warns the expert. You can find out how to bake delicious burger rolls here.
These side dishes and drinks go perfectly with the burger
A typical American side dish to the burger are, for example, bourbon BBQ beans made from different types of beans and - very masculine - a good shot of whiskey (click here for the recipe). From the other side of the Atlantic comes the recipe for another side dish: grilled Provencal mushrooms. They succeed on the grill and come with a considerable garlic aroma (the recipe can be found here). Beer should of course not be missing on a barbecue evening. But please do not pour over the steak, but drink! WANTED.DE recommends craft berries from manufactory breweries with your burger from the grill. Or, if you are not a fan of hops and malt: There are also wines that are perfectly suitable as an accompaniment to a barbecue party. You should note the following: If the sauces and marinades are rather acidic, you can catch the aromas with a dry drop. You can counter hot spices with fruity wines.
Thanks to these three grill recipes, burgers can be made in no time
Are you really in the mood for a burger? No problem, with these recipes you can easily make delicious burgers yourself: Jamie Purviance has selected three typical burgers for real men exclusively for WANTED.DE.
Grill recipe for a Wagyu burger with red wine reduction:
- Ingredients for the patties: 350 g minced Wagyu or Kobe beef, 350 g minced beef from the shoulder, 1 large finely diced shallot, 1.5 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary needles, 1/2 tsp Worcester sauce, coarse sea salt, freshly ground pepper
For the reduction: 1 tbsp butter, 1 large, finely diced shallot, 375 ml fruity red wine, 60 ml dessert wine or crème de cassis, 60 ml balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 125 ml beef consommée or strong beef stock, 3 / 4 teaspoons of cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon of water, 1/4 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- also: 4 sliced brioche rolls
- preparation: Melt the butter in a saucepan and simmer the shallot cubes for 3 to 5 minutes until they take on color. Bring the wines, balsamic vinegar and pepper to the boil and reduce by half for 15 to 25 minutes. Add the beef consommée and reduce again until a thick sauce is formed. Add the cornstarch and bring to the boil again. At the same time, prepare the grill. Mix the patty ingredients and shape into four 2.5 cm thick patties. Grill the seasoned patties for 7 to 9 minutes with the lid closed, turning once. Roast the rolls during the last minutes of the grill. Finally, drizzle the red wine reduction over the patties and serve in the rolls.
Recipe for a burger with blue cheese:
- Ingredients for the sauce: 250 ml tomato sauce, 1 finely diced onion, 4 tbsp tomato paste, 60 ml apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp whiskey, 1.5 tbsp muscova sugar, 1.5 tsp Worcester sauce, 1.5 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 finely chopped garlic clove, 1/4 Teaspoon pure chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon celery, 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder, 1 strong pinch of crushed red chilli flakes, coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ingredients for the patties: 650 g ground beef from the shoulder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules, 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- also: 120 g of well-chilled blue cheese cut into four squares, 4 sliced wholemeal burger rolls, 4 tbsp mayonnaise, 4 spring onions cut into thin rings
- preparation: Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 pinch of pepper over medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes over reduced heat. Then let the thick sauce cool to room temperature. For the patties, mix the ingredients with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and shape into eight 1 cm thick patties. Place the blue cheese on four patties and cover with the remaining four patties. Press the resulting double patties together at the edge so that the cheese cannot run out. Then chill the patties for 30 minutes to 4 hours. Preheat the grill and then grill the seasoned patties for 8 to 11 minutes with the lid closed. Turn once. Meanwhile, brush the rolls with mayonnaise and roast for 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, place the patties on the lower half of the bun, arrange with barbecue sauce and spring onions and serve.
Recipe for a Reubens burger:
- Ingredients for the patties: 450 g ground beef from the shoulder, 125 g finely diced pancetta or lean breakfast bacon, 2 teaspoons of grainy mustard, 1 teaspoon of onion granules, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules, 1/2 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing: 125 ml mayonnaise, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1.5 tbsp ketchup (here the recipe for ketchup), 2 teaspoons horseradish from the jar, 1 finely diced clove of garlic, 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce, 1 teaspoon chopped dill tips, 1/4 teaspoon White wine vinegar, 1 strong pinch of coarse sea salt,
- also: Coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, 8 slices of rye bread, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 250 g of thinly sliced Emmental cheese, 200 g of drained sauerkraut from a can
- preparation: Mix the ingredients for the patties and then form four 2.5 cm thick patties. Use your thumb to press a hollow in the middle of the patties to prevent arching while grilling. After molding, chill the patties for 30 minutes to 4 hours. Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and prepare the grill. Grill the seasoned patties for 6 to 8 minutes, turning them once. Brush the bread with melted butter on one side and the dressing on the other. Cover the dressing side with a slice of cheese, a patty and another slice of cheese and sauerkraut. The burger is covered with a second slice of bread and placed on the grill for 4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Why shouldn't the Republic of Plato be successful?
- Global warming can only be delayed
- What are potassium fertilizers
- Do you have a passport
- How can we visualize emotions
- How do I convert PPSX to PPT
- How deep are kitchen counters
- What does it mean to steal a heart away
- What is a downspout in a boiler
- Why are gimbals so expensive
- You can stroke an insect
- Did you glorify God by building AIs
- Why can't Hadoop offer data parallelism
- What is expense management
- Is this world full of obstacles
- Quora Turing is complete
- Use shorthand
- What is Sanskrit Varnamala
- How is it important to consolidate your credit
- Is carbon dating a theory
- Blackberries are healthier than blueberries
- There is private equity fraud
- When did the black and white television end
- Why are there no chariots with 5 horses?