What is the impact of Drupal
7 differences between Drupal and WordPress
Statistics from w3tech.com
In this point, Wordpress and Drupal are very similar. Both content management systems are based on the PHP programming language and the MySQL database. PHP and MySQL are very common and do not have any special hosting requirements. All common hosting providers support Wordpress and Drupal.
3. Open source
A common feature of Drupal and Wordpress is the license. Drupal as well as Wordpress are "open source" and can be downloaded and installed free of charge. There are no license costs. This is a great advantage, especially in comparison to "closed source" content management systems. The saved costs can be invested in adaptations and expansions.
More on this: Drupal and the advantages of open source
If you look around the market, Wordpress websites tend to be cheaper, as these are sometimes implemented by agencies without programming knowledge. As a rule, you use the standard Wordpress functionality and customize the website with a free or paid theme. This enables a satisfactory solution to be achieved quickly and inexpensively. If you want to expand a WordPress site later with more complex functions, this may not be possible, as the plugins or the template used do not allow this to happen without further ado.
Drupal projects tend to be larger and more complex and therefore also more costly. Programming skills are usually required to create a solution with Drupal. Drupal also has powerful standard functionality and a comprehensive API to implement customer-specific applications. If you want to implement a more complex web application, the initial investment is more expensive, but with Drupal you get an expandable and scalable solution.
5. Flexibility: modules and plugins
Both systems have extensions in the form of "modules" or "plugins". Wordpress lists over 45,000 modules, Drupal over 35,000 modules. However, the number of modules says little about their quality. Both systems have useful modules as well as outdated and rather useless modules.
In addition to countless extensions, Drupal offers a powerful API, i.e. an interface to create your own modules. Drupal clearly offers more flexibility here. See also the next section "Functionality".
More about this: Online Marketing Module for Drupal 8
Compared to Wordpress, the functionality of Drupal is much more extensive. With Drupal you can realize large web projects that go much further than pure content management. Wordpress, on the other hand, has less functionality and is therefore suitable for simpler web solutions.
Drupal knows the concept of so-called content types (page types), blocks, views and much more. This means that practically all imaginable applications can be mapped on the web. Wordpress, on the other hand, has standard page types Post and Page. These are particularly suitable for a blog and a simple website.
Seen in this way, Drupal is more of a "construction kit". A Drupal solution typically consists of the Drupal Core, some additional modules, a theme and individual developments. With Wordpress the procedure is similar, whereby Wordpress can be understood as more than a product. Worpress solutions consist of the Wordpress core, plugins and a theme. Your own additional plugins are rather the exception.
Both systems are considered secure provided that the latest security updates are installed. With Wordpress, however, the risk of an attack is higher because security updates have to be made more frequently. In 2015, the federal government even explicitly warned that WordPress websites were unsafe:
According to the report, around six percent of the websites in Switzerland are operated with Wordpress. 70 percent of them have security gaps, although security updates are available.
How Safe is Drupal?
What problem do you want to solve?
The question is not whether Wordpress or Drupal is better. Both tools have their purpose. The question that you should ask yourself during the CMS evaluation is what problem you want to solve and what needs you have now and in the future. In simplified terms, one can say the following:
Wordpress is particularly suitable for
- Simple web solutions
Drupal is particularly suitable for
- Complex web solutions
- Comprehensive publishing solutions
- Intra- and Extranets
- Community solutions
- Multilingual websites
Not sure whether you want to use Wordpress or Drupal?
It is worth taking a closer look at the two systems. We recommend our customers to proceed strategically during the evaluation. Costs, functionality, scalability, maintenance costs, and security have to be weighed up.
If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to contact me.
- What kind of program is Microsoft Excel
- Can I decline a project in Accenture?
- Why was Jade Tsui's account deleted
- Can I record with my smartphone
- Have you been mountain climbing and why
- Why do drone pilots wear a uniform?
- What are career opportunities in pure science
- Can an M1A2 Abrams penetrate a T90
- How do I reduce the power factor
- What are some disadvantages of ARM processors
- If Ethereum fails, it will ever recover
- How does monopoly competition benefit consumers?
- Is It Right To Sell Renamed Phones
- Why civilization never started with democracy
- Are there leaders who fear knowledge
- How to make dried mango
- LG W30 has a better camera
- Where can I download Silicon Valley SO5
- Who heads the US government republic
- Analytical Philosophy What are the obvious contradictions?
- Are fashion trends irrational
- What is the purpose of an order
- How do I kill empathy
- Area 51 should only be temporary
- What's the good about speeding up
- What martial arts do chain weapons have
- How to find international conference websites
- How do I integrate 1 x 1
- Queen still writes new songs
- Avoid cops
- Which one decides a national currency
- In marketing, psychographic targeting is unethical
- Would you see my youtube video
- One day computers will rule the world