Why are people so weird
Why is my grandma so weird?
We explain to you what the disease dementia is
People with dementia sometimes forget to turn off the stove. Some people write memories on pieces of paper. Photo: dpa
You must have forgotten your homework before. That happens and it doesn't matter. This only becomes a problem when people are pathologically constantly forgetting things. This is called dementia. Our child reporters Sophia (9) and Noemie (10) from Schwabach gave the title “Dementia in old age. Or: Why are grandma or grandpa so weird? ”Written down for you.
Many people forget something, but people with dementia also forget the most important things. Dementia is Greek and means "away from the mind". Incidentally, the disease rarely occurs. Only five percent of all people are sick. If you take 100 people, only five of them have dementia and 95 are healthy.
At the children's university at the Johannes Helm School in Schwabach, Professor Christine Brendebach from the Evangelical University of Nuremberg showed us photos of a healthy and a diseased brain. In the healthy one you see a lot of “gray matter”: a mass that you can think with. A sick person has many cracks and black holes. Everyone has memories - but where there are cracks, the memory is suddenly gone.
The child reporters Noemie and Sophia. Photo: Fischer
If you have dementia, the brain slowly degrades, for example you forget what someone or something is called. Because of this, contacts with other people are often disrupted. It can happen that the grandma no longer knows who her grandchild is. This is also called agnosia. For example, some old people say “things” to a stuffed animal because they can't remember the word.
Often people can no longer speak properly, this is called aphasia. They just forget certain letters. "Some people with dementia put their shoes in the refrigerator or comb their hair with a toothbrush," says Ms. Brendebach. Some people grill their meat on the iron as well. Such disorders are called apraxia. "There was once a woman who took her grandchildren's dolls pram because she thought she was a child herself," says Ms. Brendebach.
What people with dementia can remember for a long time are, for example, music or a certain melody. Many people with dementia write notes on which they write down memories. For example: “Switch off the stove!” Or “Feed the dog!”. But sometimes they forget that too.
Incidentally, the disease cannot be cured. But you can help people by always being nice to them. Also, you shouldn't keep improving and distracting them. You can say, for example, that the dog is still in the bushes and will come right back when a woman is looking for him - even though he has long been dead. Maybe then you will tell her something nice.
- Are kinetic energy weapons possible
- What syndrome causes small ears
- Which truss design is best suited under compression
- What are individual species also known as
- Neuroscience is by and large closer to psychology
- What is perceptual hash in layman's terms
- How were Shiites and Sunnis educated
- What is birth and death
- What is the most common congenital malformation
- Why everyone is so obsessed with perfection
- Is the Google Assistant the most advanced AI
- What does Camp Nou
- What are the uses of an excavator
- Is It Right To Sell Renamed Phones
- What genetic mutation causes sickle cell disease
- How to give private karate lessons
- How valid is Spirit Science
- Wheres Corby in the UK
- God uses the internet
- How is ethanol converted into BU
- Monopoly is the oldest board game
- What do social democrats think of socialism?
- How to kill scratches on bedding
- Does the brain have a debugging mode
- Where can I make money online
- Is there anyone who buys blank checks
- What are the average placements in HMR
- What does the task manager do
- How can I drive for Uber
- Why do people look at camrips
- What material should we replace plastic with?
- Which company made the first credit card