Does an MBA work
Does it work? Accelerate your career with an MBA
Björn Goergens' professional career is similar to a mountain pass in the Alps. As an 18-year-old high school student, he developed booking systems for hotels and restaurants with a friend in 1998. Before graduating from high school, he became an entrepreneur. When the dot-com bubble burst two years later, he said to himself: "Being a boss is great, but I need an education that gives me a solid foundation."
He studied business informatics at the private university of applied sciences in Paderborn. His company continued to run parallel to his studies. In 2004 he finished, an entrepreneur with a diploma: "I found that I enjoy customer service the most, programming less." In 2007 Goergens sold his company and began studying general management at the WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management in Vallendar. His idea: "An MBA degree leads me into management consulting - and into the big wide world."
Consulting with the MBA
After 16 months he had his MBA under his belt and started at OC&C Strategy Consultants. The company is represented worldwide with around 500 consultants, Goergens started in Dubai. He worked in the Persian Gulf for two years and then moved to Düsseldorf.
The 32-year-old has been a freelance management consultant since April 2012. His customers are no longer corporations, but medium-sized companies, but the issues are similar: The focus is still on lowering costs and improving business results. Thanks to the MBA, Goergens understands this.
For him, the training was a "remarkable broadening of horizons", professionally, globally and personally: "It was one of the best decisions of my life, which has changed drastically as a result." The course also cost him 35,000 euros, and Goergens would be a bad businessman if he didn't think about amortization. It is difficult to quantify the benefit, but: "Without an MBA, there would not be so many doors open to me."
Around 250 participants are currently taking the MBA courses at WHU. There are 30 computer scientists, which is an "ideal value" for Peter Kreutter, an IT expert at WHU: "The diversity in the composition of the learning groups is very important. The participants benefit from the various professional and academic backgrounds of their fellow students . "
Computer scientist describes Kreutter as introverted and analytical, business and management issues are uncharted territory for her. Depending on the program, they pursued different goals. Almost all of the full-time students leave their jobs for a while, make a radical cut and want to achieve a management position with the MBA. Part-time students are often financially and organizationally supported by their employer. You should have a career internally. Often a target position is already provided for them. However, the MBA graduates should not only rely on the title, warns Kreutter: "The title helps, but the new skills and woven networks are just as important." Graduates first have to prove their skills in both areas in practice.
- There is private equity fraud
- Why are my forest shoes so heavy
- What causes a reflex
- Have you ever cheated on someone
- What did the Beatles think of disco?
- What are some interesting clustering uses
- To whom is India's national anthem dedicated
- What does 60 minutes of IPA mean
- What is the time limit for the execution of judgments
- Why aren't surreal numbers taught
- Why didn't Apple update the MacBook Pro
- How do I get along with guys
- How are mammalian cells defined
- How to say magazine in Japanese
- What is a trap rapper
- What are new inventions in mechanical engineering
- Android reads my screen
- Why do Punjabis boast of everything
- How can cognitive neuroscience improve machine learning
- Is life equal to gold
- How can planes fly through thunderstorms
- Why is her weight loss so amazing
- How much does data recovery cost
- How pianists avoid the carpal tunnel
- What is a subroutine
- What is the career for child development
- What are State Chartered Companies
- Which compound is more soluble in water
- Why is the softwood soft
- Are Israelis white
- What are popular brands
- What is tag data
- What restored your confidence in yourself